Devising the content
The treatment for this project focuses on the development of the song monologue from the dramatic recitation of the Victorian music halls and to the sophistication of the modern revue. It includes elements of pathos, patriotism, satire and farce. The gems in this repertoire date from the turn of the last century through to the latter part of the 20th century.
Creating the concept
The original treatment from the Bright Thoughts Company offered innovations and a winning formula which could not easily be achieved logistically on a modest budget by ITV or BBC and therefore, by design would be advantageous for an independent production company to produce:
- to be recorded entirely on location to liberate from set-building, a theatre stage, or the more conventional studio or similar setting;
- all performances to be recorded live without an audience other than their peers;
- piano accompaniment, no other music requirement, piano only;
- an after dinner style party with accomplished actors who perform their piece some with token props and/or token costume;
- links and nitroductions by the party host, a well-known celebrity actor and presenter;
- to inform, educate as well as entertain - each title has an overlay with title, dates of composition and the writer/performer.
On demand TV -
The original transmission tapes are held in archive. With an increasing demand for original content on the pay-to-view services, there is a likelihood the original series can be remastered in HD once a distribution and licensing agreement is made.
It is also possible for for a remake with another production company and to use the original format for the production.
If this may be of interest we would be pleased to hear from you to gauge some sense of popularity both to the Series and also this genre of music and performance in the 2020s.